ChatGPT has been explored in several areas including education. It has been found to be affecting the schools in several ways. The topic of concern for this article is: How Is ChatGPT Affecting Schools?
One of the ways is by using natural language processing technology in educational software. Natural language processing helps in a more personalized and advanced learning experience like virtual tutoring which can easily answer the questions of the students. Students can learn at their own speed and get individualized feedback for improvement in their academic results.
Next is by changing the way of interaction between technology and students. With the increase in the number of AI-powered educational tools, students are aware of the ways to operate them. In short, the students have digital literacy skills.
What is the effect of chatGPT on education?
The effect of chatGPT on education is a debatable topic. It needs to focus on both the advantages and disadvantages of chatGPT in education.
1. Increased engagement: The continuous conversation with chat GPT encourages learning and engagement with the students. This might help to motivate and develop an interest in the subject.
2. Personalised learning: ChatGPT can design or change the content to enhance the learning of each student. In short, chat GPT can customize the content based on individual feedback received from the students.
3. Improved access: ChatGPT can provide numerous educational or study-related resources to students who are living in remote areas, increasing educational opportunities.
How is chatGPT used in education?
Tools like chatGPT are capable of processing and producing information in an efficient way by saving time for both students and teachers. If the students have a shortage of time then they can quickly look for information on chat GPT without wasting much time looking for other resources. Chat GPT can assist in tasks like content creation, lesson planning, and grading. It also saves the time of teachers so that they can focus on student support.
What are the disadvantages of chatGPT for students?
A few of the disadvantages of chatGPT for students are as follows:
1. Dependence on technology: The more the students use chatGPT the more they will be dependent on the technology. Each time they will be looking for a readymade response to their school tasks or studies.
2. Limited understanding: ChatGPT can also provide inaccurate results and the students will fail to understand the accurate reasoning behind the answer. This can also result in confusion and misunderstanding among the students as they might consider the response to be accurate.
3. Ethical issues: The regular use of chatGPT in education will result in ethical considerations like algorithmic bias, data security and privacy issues, etc.
Should chatGPT be used in school?
The decision to allow the use of chatGPT in schools must be carefully assessed and evaluated on the basis of the objectives and needs of education. The school authorities should consider both the pros and cons of the same.
A few of the benefits are a personalized learning experience, improved digital literacy, and better engagement. On the other hand, some of the drawbacks are inaccurate results, over-dependence on technology, and ethical concerns.
How does chatGPT affect the future of international education?
ChatGPT is a golden opportunity for students who want to pursue their career in artificial intelligence in the countries like USA, Canada, the UK, and Australia. There is a possibility of virtual tutoring to students living in different countries decreasing the requirement to travel for attending the classes.
The research has stated that the increased use of artificial intelligence in education results in better grades for students studying in universities that support artificial intelligence.
It can also facilitate cultural exchange by giving opportunities to foreign students to learn and communicate with each other.
To conclude, the article answers How Is ChatGPT Affecting Schools?
Frequently asked questions
What teachers are saying about chatGPT?
Almost 75% of the teachers have positive thinking about chatGPT. They also believe that the program can help them grow as a teacher. Around two-thirds of the students believe that they can become better in education with the assistance of charge GPT and 75% of students think that they can learn faster.
How many students use chatGPT to cheat?
More than half of college students use artificial intelligence tools to complete their study-related projects and cheat in examinations.
Will teachers know if I use chatGPT?
Yes, teachers will know if a student uses chatGPT to generate the response with the help of plagiarism detection software.
Can I get in trouble for using chatGPT?
Yes, a student can get in trouble for using chatGPT. Suppose, more than half of the class uses chatGPT in their mathematics assignment which means the steps of the solution and results of all are the same. All the students found to use chatGPT can be flagged by the professor and can get into trouble.
Does chatGPT get flagged by Turnitin?
Yes, chatGPT can be flagged by Turnitin due to recent improvements made to detect content generated by AI bots.
Follow for more updates
Follow Raveen Chawla on Medium